Explore NCG

  • Locations
  • Pricelist
  • Become A Partner
  • Contact Us
  • Useful Links
  • How to Pay
  • Edvoy
    Contact Us Apply To NCG
    360° Tour Facebook Twitter YouTube LinkedIn Instagram Blog

    Student Visa Information

    You may need a visa to legally study English in the UK or Ireland. Different visas may be required depending on your nationality, the length of your course and what you will be studying.

    The type of visa you will need for your studies in the UK or Ireland will depend on how long you wish to study. If you live in an EU country and plan to study for up to 6 months, you may not require a visa at all. If you are from a country outside of the EU and wish to study for less than 6 months, you may be able to study on a visitor visa. Students planning to study for more than 6 months will likely need either a short-term study visa or a student visa. Please read all of the below information and check the UKBA website to find out what type of visa you require.

    You can check if you need a visa for your studies in the UK here.

    Types of visa

    Depending on your course length, you may require one of the following visas:

    Visitor visa

    For studies lasting six months or less. Students from an EU, EEA or other non visa national country may not require a visa at all.

    Find out more

    Short-term study visa

    English Language students studying from 6 to 11 months at an accredited school can apply for a short-term study visa.

    Learn more

    Student visa

    If you are aged over 16 and wish to study in the UK for more than 11 months, you will need to apply for a student visa.

    More information

    Child student visa

    If you or your child are aged between 4 and 17 years old, and wish you study at an independent school in the UK, you may apply for a child student visa.

    Find out more

    Please note that there are many other factors which may effect the type of visa you require, including your nationality and additional travel plans. Please check the UKBA website for a full list of requirements for each visa type.

    How to apply

    You can apply in a number of ways, for example, by post, by courier, in person or online. Staff at the visa application office or Visa Section (visa application office) can inform you of the most suitable application methods.

    Some visa sections will only accept applications made online. To find out if you can apply for your visa online please visit the visa 4UK website.

    If you cannot apply online you will need to fill in a visa application form (VAF3 – Student). You can get a form free of charge from your nearest visa application centre. You should apply for a student visa in the country of which you are a national or where you legally live.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Can I work while I study at New College Group?

    You are not allowed to work or do an internship while studying with us.

    Can I bring dependents into the UK?

    Being allowed to bring dependents to the UK will depend on the type of visa you have applied for. Please check the criteria on UKBA website for details.

    When should I apply?

    You should apply in good time for your entry clearance so that you are not delayed getting into the UK. Visa applications may take several weeks or even months, especially over the summer when lots of students are applying. Please be sure to check the UKBA website and apply well in advance.

    Where can I get more advice and information?

    For more information about studying in the UK, please visit the UKBA website. Alternatively, please speak to our Admissions team if you require further help.